Saturday, 23 November 2013

Teutoburg Forest AD9

70mm Roman & Germanic Warrior

This has become a bit of a slow burner of a project with little bits of work being done here and there. Not going to rush this one!

Whilst painting busts I have been doing a bit of work on the bases for these figures using a mixture of putty and natural materials.

I was searching for a suitable twig to use as a log for the Roman to be putting his front foot on but couldn't find one with a bark that I was happy with so I ended up stripping a twig of it's bark and supergluing bark from another branch cutting (which had bark that I liked but was the wrong shape) onto it.

Here with the bark being added to the stripped twig.

The twig "re-barked" and in place on the base

For the Germanic Warriors bas I wanted a rotten stump as a feature which I made out of MagicSculpt.

Here it is in it's various stages of completion.

A spray of Jo Sonjas Carbon Black has been applied to both bases and figures at which point I remembered that I had made some mushrooms to attach to the stump and log which I have now put on after the priming.

I have made up some toadstool mushrooms to be added into the ground in and around the growth on the stump and log which will be added later.

Still a long way to go with building up this groundwork.

More soon.............

Wednesday, 20 November 2013

French Hussar 5th Regiment 1808


I spent today finishing off this bust which included sculpting my own name plate for the base. For this I decided to make the Sabretache for the 5th Regiment which is probably one of the nicest Sabertaches of all the Hussar Regiments.

The first picture shows the Sabretache pre-painting. To make it I cut out the basic shape in plasticard, roughly sketched on the details in pencil and then sculpted them in MagicSculpt.

Here is the finished bust.

Monday, 18 November 2013

French Hussar 5th Regiment 1808

Painting the yellow braiding

Using a mix of JS Cadmium Yellow and Vallejo Leather Brown with spot hightlights in JS Yellow Light I have progressed the braiding to completion.

Saturday, 16 November 2013

French Hussar 5th Regiment 1808

1/12th Bust

Continuing with the Dolman

I have completed some more work on the sky blue Dolman and begun to tackle the braiding on the waistcoat, Dolman and the Bonnet de Police using a basecoat of Vallejo Leather brown 50/50 mix with Jo Sonjas Cadmium mid Yellow. The Lucien Rousellot book states that the braiding is Lemon Yellow in colour for the 5th Regt so the highlights will be done using JS Cadmium Yellow and Yellow Light.

Sunday, 10 November 2013

French Hussar 5th Regiment 1808

French Hussar 5th Regt 1808

1/12th scale bust by Grenadier Miniatures

I've jumped straight into another Napoleonic bust after completing the Imperial Guard. This time the Moz Corry sculpted 1/12th scale Hussar bust produced by Grenadier Miniatures. This bust is sculpted with the Nankeen summer jacket worn over the waistcoat. the Nankeen would be white in colour regardless of the Regiment colours with only the cap and waiscoat denoting the Regiment. I decided I didn't want to have a white Nankeen, prefering a Dolman instead and bringing a little more colour into the piece. To facilitate this I have added some edging braid on the front of the Jacket and around the collar to more acurately depict a Dolman. This was a simple task accomplished with some Magic Sculpt.

The colours of the 5th Regiment are Sky Blue Dolman and Cap (with white cap-bag) with Yellow braid. Red Waistcoat with Yellow braid.

The unaltered bust

With the edging rendered

Painting began with a black undercoat of Jo Sonja Carbon Black via the airbrush followed by directional oversprays of flesh for the face, a mix of JS Ultramarine Blue/Prussian Blue for the Dolman and lower portion of the cap and White/Raw Umber for the top of the cap.